Sarah's Story

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 12 – Consulate Appointment Day and a free afternoon






December 14: I am getting more and more used to my Mama and I am not screaming quite so much Today was our Consulate Appointment. Our local guide and our trip guide went to the American Consulate for the appointment while Mama waited in the hotel room. She had to wait there just in case there were any problems with my paperwork. I did not want to be cooped up in the hotel room, so Aunt Terry and I went out to explore Guangzhou. We returned at noon and I went down for my nap.

After my nap, we met the other families in our group and walked over to the Pearl Market. Guangzhou is known for pearls. I wasn’t too interested in the long strands of shiny pearls, so my Aunt Terry took me for a walk in the mall. I am getting very good at climbing stairs, so while Mama shopped for pearls, I practiced my stair stepping skills (holding tightly to Aunt Terry’s finger).

Aunt Terry wanted to buy a tablecloth, so after Mama was done spending money on pearls, Guilan took us on a hunt for a tablecloth. First we went to the cloth section of the mall we were in. It was one floor up from the pearl section. No tablecloths, only clothing. Guilan asked one of the shop girls about where we could buy a table cloth and the girl gave us some vague directions. The directions were so vague that Guilan requested a hand drawn map. We left the building and headed down a busy street. We walked and walked and walked. Finally we arrived at the market area where we could buy tablecloths. Mama and Aunt Terry recognized where we were; we were across the street from the grocery store they had been shopping in earlier this week!

I enjoy our trips out of the hotel. Everyone comments on how well behaved I am. I sit quietly in my stroller and look at everything. There is so much to see and smell! Sometimes I get sleepy and have been known to take a little nap while Mama or Aunt Terry pushes me. There is a street near to our hotel that sells pets. All kinds of pets: dogs, cats, bunnies, turtles, fish and birds. They sell all types of pet supplies including dog food and doggies clothing! We even saw chicks and baby ducks for sale. I wasn’t too keen on the chicks and ducks….they jumped at me when I looked into their box. I think I liked the kitties the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home